Some potential risks following treatment include:
- Tenderness of the gums for a period of time.
- Increased temperature sensitivity of the teeth for a period of time.
- Shrinkage of the gums which may lead to longer looking teeth, more root sensitivity, increased spaces between teeth the near gum line and altered aesthetics.
- If gum and bone are being built back up, they may shrink or slough off during healing and the procedure may need to be redone.
- All surgical procedures carry a small risk of infection.