Just as you would go to your doctor for regular check-ups, you should also visit your dentist to make sure that your teeth and gums get the same kind of attention. Oral health is important as it plays a huge part in your overall wellbeing.
Poor oral health leads to various issues like cavities and tooth decay, gum disease, tooth loss, and other problems that have been linked to more complicated illnesses like diabetes and heart disease.
The key to preventing and treating oral health issues is early detection. Regular visits to your trusted dentist are needed if you want to maintain optimal oral health. One of the many reasons you should visit your dentist at least twice a year is to receive professional cleaning.
Brushing and flossing regularly can really go a long way for your dental health, but having your teeth professionally cleaned is an entirely different league.
There's more to professional cleaning than just actual cleaning. Many things happen during your dental visit - your dentist checks your head, your neck, your jaw function, and of course, the tissues in your mouth. If necessary, x-rays may be taken as well.
Why are dental exams and professional cleaning important?
* To Catch and Nip Any Problems in the Bud: Treatment is easier when it is performed while the dental problem is in its early stages.
* To Prevent the Buildup of Plaque and Tartar: While regular brushing and flossing are important to keep your teeth clean and healthy, tartar and plaque can still accumulate in hard to reach areas like below the gum line and the back of your teeth. Professional cleaning is much more thorough, and it can help prevent plaque and tartar buildup in those hard-to-reach areas.
* To Help Prevent Gum Disease: Plaque and tartar are loaded with harmful bacteria that can cause gum disease. As professional cleaning removes plaque and tartar, it also stops bacteria from growing and reduces the risk of gum disease.
* To Prevent Tooth Loss: Dental decay and gum disease are the most common causes of tooth loss. Professional cleanings can help minimize tooth decay and gum disease, which in turn means you'll have lower chances of tooth loss.
* To Address Discoloration: Dental discoloration can affect how your smile looks. Professional cleaning can help prevent skin discoloration. During professional cleanings, the dentist polishes your teeth to restore their luster.
* To Help Keep Your Breath Fresh: Bad breath is never a good thing. When your teeth and gums are cleaned professionally, that can reduce the risk of you having bad breath.
You should always include your oral health care on your list of priorities. If you want to lower your risk of tooth and gum problems and enjoy a lifetime of having healthy teeth and beautiful smile, get your teeth professionally cleaned regularly! Schedule an appointment with Preston Dental today!